Our high profile work supporting youth to speak out about the education system has gained us respect across the state and the country. Over the last five years, our young people have accomplished an amazing amount of work education reform, including:
- Organizing more than 80 people to testify at the State Board of Regents for stronger teacher evaluation standards, which were adopted. [Read more…]
- Representing youth voice on RI’s Race to the Top Steering Committee (our students were the only young people invited). One of our youth actually flew to DC alongside Education Commissioner Gist and then-Governor Carcieri in RI’s successful bid for $75 million of Race to The Top funds.
- Partnering with staff from RIDE to give youth input in the creation of statewide model for teacher evaluations. [Read more…]
- Publishing two Op Eds in the Providence Journal about criterion-based hiring for Providence teachers. [Read More...]
- Supporting youth to speak at the State House about issues ranging from high school drop-out, charter schools, and access to higher education.
- Working with a wide coalition of partners to get RI’s first education funding formula in 15 years.
- Supporting youth to lead their own press conferences around the challenges in Central Falls. [Read more…]
- Organizing young people and adults to successfully push back an effort to create a third-tier diploma system in RI, and getting changes to high school graduation requirements postponed.